Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Friday, January 12, 2007

Orientation Week 1

Well Monday and Tuesday was Corporate Orientation. Wednesday was Facility Orientation. Yesterday was Nursing Orientation, and today was New Grad Nursing Orientation. Monday will be the last New Grad Orientation.

Of course, to me, the last 2 days was most interesting. Directly nursing related education always seems a bit more relevant to me.

As people have seen on the post below, I'm in Geriatrics (Aged Care) so that's a medical ward *sighs*. I'm getting used to the idea, truly I am. I spoke to the NUM and CNE today, and a few other nurses as well. They do not deny that it's a hard and heavy ward, and that you'll get used to it *sighs*. Not angry anymore. I'm settling. I'm gonna live it out for 4 months, and it's only 4 months, so it'll be gone by the time I get used to the ward.

I spoke to my NUM yesterday and he originally had me down for one supernumerary day. Coz I've never worked as an undergrad or EN before, he's giving me 4 supernumerary days (which is fantastic!! And I'm so grateful) before I get given a team on the 22nd. Yays!! Stars from me for that. And it's good that they're doing that, coz it's their responsibility to provide education and support, and make sure I'm safe, as well as the patients are safe. Can't go killing patients on the 2nd day in.

Things done:
- uniform ordered - up to $300. $20 deducted from my payroll every week for 15 weeks
- NSWNA joined

Things to be done:
- GO TO CHEST CLINIC MONDAY
- Medication calculation test - must achieve 100%
- Call Concord Hospital about Salary Packaging Scheme
- Superannuation?
- Join Parking waiting list or sort out 5 day parking costs
- Hand in to NUM: BLS test, med test
- Get security cards and keys
- Go to computer training session
STUDY THE CARDIAC, RENAL, GASTRO DRUGS.
STUDY HEPARIN, Fe, INSULIN INFUSIONS
STUDY WOUND CARE
STUDY CARDIAC, PSYCH, RENAL PATHOPHYSIOLOGY

Must go grocery shopping:
- no vegetables at home - well there is, but you know, no greens.
- fruit as well - for breakfast, morning tea, lunch
- something for dinner would be helpful

Interestingly, the New Grad Coordinator has noticed (researched over these few years) a stresss phenomenon that happens to all New Grad nurses. The first 2 weeks of starting the program, since you're bombarded with all this information and have so much responsibility suddenly placed on you, this occurs:
In week 3 or 4 (mainly 3), the nurse has a breakdown of some kind. Whether she/he starts crying, shouting or just not coping and it physically comes out. This is due to the stress they're under, catalysed by copping abuse, an uncooperative pt or staff member, being given criticism, system failures, med errors etc. Something happens in the 3rd or 4th week. It can last for an hour or up to taking the day off.

7 witty remarks:

  • At 20:47, Blogger Vivian said…

    Hrmmmm....










    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

    Too many abbreviations!

     
  • At 00:46, Blogger Minerva said…

    NUM: Nurse Unit Manager (person in charge)
    CNE: Clinical Nurse Educator
    EN: enrolled nurse

    There's only 3.

     
  • At 23:26, Blogger Catie said…

    Eeep. Don't worry though, at least you know that stress is a common factor, they'll be prepared for it, you're prepared for it, etc.
    Good luck with everything!

     
  • At 10:26, Blogger Alicia said…

    *waves flag*

     
  • At 08:39, Blogger Alicia said…

    Hehe... Or, even if you are stressed you can spend a day at the beach! Because the beach is so relaxing... Just make sure it's at Maroubra and Catie is not working to make it more fun :D.

     
  • At 11:15, Blogger Catie said…

    Yay! Come to my beach! Very destressing... :)

     
  • At 21:49, Blogger Minerva said…

    Car, my car, car, car. To destress, I go to the gym. Just went to a new class on Tuesday, TBT (Tummies, Butts, Thighs), my thighs are killing me...

    Gotta sort out my roster now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home