Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Working week 1 (15 weeks to go)

It wasn't too bad, Praise God! Thank you for your prayers people, it's been much appreciated. And thank You God for getting me through this first week, pray I'll get through the next week, day by day, shift by shift, hour by hour, minute by minute etc.

I'm learning very quickly. I'm also learning about the responsibility I have as an RN. That when there's no other RNs on the floor, technically I'm the Nurse in charge. That is positively frightening for me.
And of course, there's the ethical issues which come up with caring for patients. It's so unfair, if you were gonna die, you would want to know, yes? To sort out your will, to say goodbye (or seeya), to start the grieving process (although there isn't really is one).
I'm getting a patient load of 6 right now. Although I will be getting the full 10 very soon. They're changing the staff numbers starting Monday. Crazy idiots. 2 RNs to 20 patients with 3 ENs/AINs. Insane!!! Bloody hell, when there's Specials, and TNCs, and assist x 2, and minimal assist x 1. It has such a damn heavy patient load.
Give me a month to adjust, I'm running behind on meds, especially IV Abx which I really try not to. Helps if the IVCs are in and are patent. Sorry, all my posts must be 10 paragraphs of jargon.

To do: (lots, bloody lots)
- Study cardiac, renal, gastro (oh my goodness, the gastro)
- get security key - I figured out why every time I go to the Security window it's closed. They close the window at 1530. Riiiiight, just when am shift ends.
- Do laundry and IRON!!!

So after working today (26/1/07), went home, almost fell asleep after my shower. Headed to Karen's, almost slept in her bed, then Trees came to give us lifts into the Plaza, and Leach too. Then to Saigon Bowl for dinner. Kat and Lena joined us a bit after 1900. Taro milk and pearls, Pearl milk tea and Mixed 3 cocktail was the beverages.
We had:
- Marinated pork self-rolling rolls
- Deep fried squid with salt and pepper
- Braised chicken in oyster sauce and tomato rice
- Hainan chicken
- Beef and vermicelli salad?
Not too bad, I attacked the squid, craved it for weeks. Good amount of spring onions but I wouldn't mind some more green chillies.

I think I'll give myself some wine now. Remember the Hunter Uncorked wine tasting we had a couple of years ago. That wine glass we got, my brother broke mine while washing the dishes. Sooo not impressed. Now I have to find a decent wine glass.

1 witty remarks:

  • At 01:21, Blogger Catie said…

    yay for surviving week of workk! and happy australia day to you :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home