Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Time for another post eh?

Firstly, greetings and salutations to people whom I haven't met yet, non-virtually :) Hi Sarah! Hi Jenfafa! And how are you guys?

Secondly, greetings and salutations to people whom I've known for waaay too long! :P

Thirdly, I'll be on clinical for the next 2 weeks so I'll be posting very irregularly if anything.

Song contest: newbies, use of search engines are prohibited in the song contest (coz that's cheating), title and artist unless stated otherwise, first posted, 10 stars deal. And if hypersensitive to fruit such as apples, please inform me and I will retrieve another. Or I'll bake some brownies.

Yikes, 1 Cor 11 is just as irksome as 1 Tim 2. But I'm gonna start in 1 Tim 2 and work my way through for the next few weeks. Remember, your opinion and feedback is greatly appreciated :)

"9 I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. "

Firstly, these are 'instructions on worship' for Christian women, but considering the times, men do it too, but since mainly women read this, I'm gonna aim it for women.
So we all know that we think about what we're going to wear and why we wear it (This is such a taboo topic in Christian circles). So admittedly I do think about what I wear before I go out. To uni? To church? To hang out with friends? I used to, and still do to a level, not care about what I wear out, as in modesty, depending on the temperature, UV rays, humidity. I run around in singlet tops, sarongs, bathrobes. But since growing up a little, my perspective and hopefully actions have changed on this topic.
So why do we think about what we wear? Why do we dress the way we do? For climate? For comfort? For the opposite sex? For boyfriends? For attractiveness? I know I try to dress for comfort and climate mainly. But for attractiveness... you guys will have to tell me because you are Christian women and have a duty to berate me if need be.
So, my thought processes in dressing, mind you they work much quicker than typing it down:
1. Ok, what's clean... ... ...?
2. Climate: cold? Hot? Snowing?
3. Bottoms: Have I epilated? Hmm 'pparently not...
4. Tops: does it coordinate with bottoms?
5. Shoes (I love my shoes!): tis it cold? Tis there precipitation? Tis it comfortable? Does it match?
6. Hair: meh, usually an unruly mess anyway.
So, in the end I'm wearing jeans, black jumper and a thinner top underneath (I'm like an onion, I have layerrrrrs), brown Colorados, and hair barely brushed.

But do I dress for comfort? For attractiveness? Or for fashion? As a Christian woman, should I be dressing how I am? Is it modest? Is it decent? Is it appropriate? And when should I wear my "gold and pearls"? I don't know.

Are you brave enough to read and comply to this passage Christian sisters out there? Are you ready to ask questions about how you dress and can you face the answers?

9 witty remarks:

  • At 21:08, Blogger Vivian said…

    how long has that song been up there? anyone got it yet? Ode to my family, the cranberries

     
  • At 00:39, Blogger Minerva said…

    yays, viv gets it. and since i posted this post up.

     
  • At 09:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think about what I wear every morning (or evening, depending on how organised I am). Although I know I dress with my boyfriend in mind, I wouldn't say that I'm wearing clothes that might be more revealing, but rather clothes that make me comfortable, are appropriate and might even make me look nice (actually matching colours etc). I know I'm conscious of what I wear and I know my friends keep an eye on me (fix my clothes etc when they might be twisted etc).

     
  • At 21:29, Blogger Alicia said…

    Pun, I've can't say when seen you underdressed (maybe in Terrigal :P or at your house). Wong on the other hand lives on the otherside of the spectrum...

    I don't know if I tend to think about what to wear, I generally just choose. If anything most people would say I dress too casually (?well, last I heard?).

    This is probably going the other way a little- not exactly celebrating and using my difference as a created WOMAN of God.

    I've often taken v9 as a "don't take pride in ... or live striving to have them, but strive instead for good deeds" approach though there is more to it than that...

    Our clothes effect the way people perceive us, and we are supposed to "clothe ourselves in Christ" (as was said at Ancon... look it up in the concordance at the back of your bible -Romans somewhere I think)

    That's way we should try to be perceived -first and foremost with our identity in Christ!

    I'll leave you with a verse I was reminded of in some speeches at a 21st on Sat night (madi has this on her family mirror)

    "Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

    Next time you think of what to wear. Think of this verse. :D

    Cheerios!

     
  • At 01:43, Blogger Minerva said…

    Haha! Wong... oh dear.

    Yes, very right BUT, as Christians, we should be dressing in a way to represent what we believe. Yes, we should clothe ourselves with (the above) but we'd also clothe ourselves with the armour of God :). Not miniskirts, teeny tops that leave nothing for the imagination, transparent tops, boobtubes. Something with modesty and appropriateness. Of course, that very, very much counts for men as well ;) Meanwhile, I'd rather not see any guy I know half-naked, I mean they're so pastey, they're like Clag glue, and they burn like Cat does *starts poking Cat with a lighter*

    In a way it's like Islam as well. Women wear the hijab when they feel a commitment to Allah, as respect and modesty. At least that's in the koran, NOT the culture, women wear the hijab in the culture as peer/family pressure. Well maybe not pressure, more going with the flow.

     
  • At 18:27, Blogger Alicia said…

    And we wear our EU shirts...

    With "Jesus Christ is Lord" across the back...

     
  • At 22:55, Blogger Catie said…

    well, i have a history of wearing both see-through tops and mini-skirts, sometimes together. this has never really bothered me much. and i tend to choose my clothes on the basis of weather, what's available and what goes, if i can be bothered.
    i just can't see a problem with it. it's not as if the way i dress would lead people to think i was slutty or anything. at least i hope not. so is it so wrong? i don't know... sleepy

     
  • At 00:42, Blogger Minerva said…

    I thought the only see-through top you have is the Nepali one I got you from HK? And you do wear a singlet top under that, right? Right?? You see, isn't a miniskirt anything above half thigh? Do you own a miniskirt Cat??

    Well I don't think the way Cat dresses is slutty at all. Although it's fun when we keep telling you to pull up your pants (bwhahahahahaha) I swear, you could make a good plumber if you don't know what to do after honours, no no I kid, I kid ;P

    It's important to dress appropriately, I can tell you stuff about mental health, but then I'll just be wasting my typing space because people will think I'm telling them a load of bull, when I'm not. *sighs* Sorry it's nearly 0100, it's cold, I'm not in a good mood, psych placement is really taking it outta me.

    But, no Cat doesn't dress slutty at all. Or at least from my perspective. I mean woman, what would happen in summer? You'd turn into a pile of ash *poof!* you red headed, fair skinned arts student.

     
  • At 16:22, Blogger Catie said…

    ... o.k., i think leach has a point, clothes are not that important. the passage itself emphasises clothing ourselves in good deeds. also was prefaced by the words 'i want'. i think this is one of those issues that is less important than some. there are good arguments for not spending too much money on clothes, and also i think modesty is a little relative and should probably considered in terms of cultural appropriateness.
    yay for not being slutty! hmm....
    awwww for pun's pysch placement, that doesn't sound fun :(
    and yes, tis way too cold.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home