Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Friday, March 31, 2006

So I'm a tad less nervous about the upcoming research

Well after the meeting with my supervisor, worked out at least the 'Maybe we can do this' research. She's paged the cardiologist at Westmead and gonna get back to me in a few days. Right now, as per usual, have to do a lot more reading and start the intro and background of the thesis.

Basically what I'll most likely be doing, since it hasn't been done before (or it hasn't been published yet), a longitudinal retrospective cohort quantative study on pts with implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) for greater than 5 years. I'll probably be getting 30 to 60 subjects through postal survey sampling method, and stalk down through telephone survey for the people who don't get back to me. Possibly doing quality of life surveys (SF36) or something by another instrument. My supervisor's gonna contact some American researchers and see if their new collection method is appropriate to use.
Gotta write the ethics application for WSAHS and put it through before attempting to even think about how much this'll all cost.

I think it'll be very interesting to see the results, mortality and morbidity is what I'm most interested in, hehe, and possibly for something much more controversial, the type of ICD, as in Guidant or Medtronic, (Guidant having very recently had recalls in their ICDs...). Eeep, just thinking about that and doing any research into that could cause enemies, meanwhile this one as well, if the pts state the surgeon who implanted the ICD and if there were any further MACE (major adverse cardiac events). Meeep.

Soooo...

Yea, so I had Full House (K drama) the whole time! For fans of ff, here's Full house a Lily/James fic based on the K drama. Unfinished but not bad at all, kinda AU. Gonna watch it tonight after a shower, the leading lady's very pretty, the leading guy... not so much (there's something rather off-putting about men who have a tendency to show off their pecs). Thank God for English subtitles, and no-need-to-use-your-brain light-hearted comedy.

Oh yes, had blood drawn today and my annual flu vaccination (upper (L) arm kinda sore). Will go back next week for the results. My BP's gone down a little but I'm still a tad worried about it, 130/75 (!!!). At age 20, a systolic of 130??? I need to do more exercise.
So let's see, tests for Heps A, B, C, HIV, Varicella, FBC, UEC, TSH, and gaaah, I don't know about my hormones ones. Those need to be taken at Day 21 *nudge* and considering I'm all "wacko" that'll be extraordinarily difficult. And she asked me about rubella again, or what-is-related-to-rubella.
LADIES: if you ever wanna get pregnant or are sexually active, please check your MMR status.

Yea, I had a nice thorough talk with the GP about that. I really enjoyed it, I really do like this new GP, she's actually informing pts about tests and such whereas before, my previous GPs did jackcrap (legally they should). Sooo... this week's personal questions, instead of about UTIs, more so about my sexual inactivity (funnily enough the temptation to smirk wasn't strong, because I have to ask people these questions as well) *shrugs in indifference*

GREETINGS! To the people who read my blog but don't post. Feel free to pinch me on a pain-free arm next time you see me ... so I can threaten GBH.

7 witty remarks:

  • At 00:04, Blogger Catie said…

    I don't really understand any of the first paragraph... but yay for you pun! yay all round!
    now i feel like watching dodgy K drama...

     
  • At 00:18, Blogger Minerva said…

    Just the first paragraph? Or the first few?? Well I don't understand what I type most og the time. No that's a lie.

    Full House isn't a K dodgy drama. It's actually a very popular drama in Asia. Translated into Canto, Vietnamese, Mandarin, and considering it's been subtitled into English, it's not that dodgy.
    Currently bro watching HK comedy, but it has no English subtitles so I don't understand some of the jokes.

     
  • At 20:51, Blogger Alicia said…

    *virtually hits left arm and runs away* bwahahhaha!!

     
  • At 22:25, Blogger Minerva said…

    *glares evilly at Leachypoo*

     
  • At 23:35, Blogger Catie said…

    the first few paragraphs i think... i got a bit lost... but sounds cool :D

     
  • At 00:23, Blogger Minerva said…

    I've finished Full House, Cat do you wanna borrow it? Coz I'll bring it on Friday if so, also the feather boa and Angi's skirt.

     
  • At 01:16, Blogger Catie said…

    hmmm... why not? sounds like it could be fun.
    congrats to karen! if you're reading this... and see you friday :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home