Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Little Snail (EDIT)

Well today was good, had lunch with 2 lovely ladies ;) Unfortunately no photos :( but no worries, the description of the delicious meal should be enough to ignite your imagination.
We all had escargots for entree, little morsels of delicously soft and slide-y goodness with a warm, salty, garlicky melted butter, with herb bread to dip the butter in.
Cat had a lamb with rosemary and garlic sauce, Leach had veal in a mushroom sauce and I had a barramundi in lemon sauce. All served with vegetables such as corn, green beans, cauliflower and potato. Drinks was water and Scarborough chardonnay 2002.
Then for dessert, Cat had the profriteroles with chocolate sauce, Leach had the baked passionfruit cheesecake, and I had the lemon sorbet. Also flat white, cappuccino and latte with petit fours.

Then after rushing home, I had 30min to shower and get changed (soles of feet sore), then had Mish G's brithday dinner. Then B and I drove over to the church, got in separate cars and drove to Macquarie Uni where we watched Mish's friend's band play in a comp. Also got a Heineken. Then popped over to the mod Asian restaurant that was booked for dinner. Catered towards Westerners. Yea hah, and meals of Mongolian lamb, honey chicken, fried rice, prawn yellow curry, salt and pepper squid, and a few more, and some verdelho, headed on home. Oh yes, there was a fortune cookie too... mine said something about a hatchet, fly and friend's forehead. Yep, made looooots of sense.

You know, there's a definite difference between peeps at PLC and at church, other than half of us being of Asian ancestry, we're generally open to eating and different foods. As in we won't squirm, make remarks about the food and push it away because you don't like the sound of it, when you haven't even tried it.
Okay, I know I'm much more open to food than some people I know and will eat most if not all things that you put in front of me, well save apples, pears and latex, but surely oyster sauce doesn't sound inedible???
Okay, okay, I'll stop it now, just because people haven't tried real Chinese food and continue to eat Australian Chinese food... I guess it would be through their parents' as well, that they just eat what's down at the local Chinese take-out so they would've grown up with stereotype food and that's what they think is Chinese and that's what they'll eat.
Okay, okay I'm being harsh. Maybe.

NB: Sorry Viv I was mid rant and my thoughts were coming out faster than I type. Basically I would never take anyone I know, love and respect to the local Chinese take-out. Coz my pride as a Honky would stop me, as well as the looks I'd get from other Asians and educated gwai mui jai.

8 witty remarks:

  • At 15:18, Blogger Catie said…

    That is a little harsh, imposing your cultural ideals on people from other cultures. Shame Pun, shame.
    Although it's true that Oyster sauce is not the most exotic of things...

     
  • At 16:17, Blogger Alicia said…

    Oh you know that oyster sauce. Inedible stuff. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole.

     
  • At 16:49, Blogger Minerva said…

    Well you know... I hate it, absolutely hate it when people screw up their faces and frown and show disgust at foods/drinks/places/people they've never eaten/drank/been/met. It just shows how, how, how dame it, someone stop me before I rant...

     
  • At 20:59, Blogger Vivian said…

    Hrmmm...can you rephrase the third last sentence of your post, I'm a little confused...

     
  • At 21:01, Blogger Vivian said…

    Lunch sounded good though ;)

     
  • At 21:30, Blogger Alicia said…

    Hehe, dame it!

    I love your blog Pun, it stops me from getting board! :P ;)

     
  • At 23:50, Blogger Minerva said…

    Hay now, don't be mean ;) ;P

     
  • At 15:39, Blogger Catie said…

    :p

    *pouts*

    you people suck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home