Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 19, 2007

"You've never tried banana cake??"

Amazing... okay I understand, Janene (Phil's mum) has an adversion to bananas so that's why he tried some of mine today. And imho, it's bleeding delicious, out of the oven not long in the morning. Moist in the middle, subtle scent of cinnamon, lovely banana warm smell, not too creamy frosting with walnuts, mmmmm... I have more than half left if anyone wants some. Really very very nice, my best one ever. Mmmm... I feel like some more now.
Courtesy of Stephanie Alexander's 'A cook's companion' Simple banana cake, with my addition of marscapone, vanilla and walnut frosting.

I have great news, I'll be going to Coronary Care Unit and Cardiac Catheter Lab for my 2nd and 3rd rotations respectively. Yays!!! I'm glad they gave me 2 out of 3 of my preferences. :D
I really have to brush up on my ECGs, gotta find a decent ECG book. I knew I should've bought it back in uni.

For Phil's graduation, well it seems we're both working on the day. Except he starts work at 1830 and I start at 2130, and I finish later. But no matter, it still means that we both have to have an early lunch on Wednesday, then home to sleep before the shifts start. I'm sure Janene and Keith will have to poke me to stay awake during the ceremony. Arghh... and how in the world am I gonna get to Phil's house during peak hour, take a shower, then head up with his parents to Parra on time. I'd be lucky to have 10 minutes before we have to leave. It's insane, it's peak hour, we won't make it on time unless we disapparate. I'll have to bring my micro towel with me to dry my hair in the car, and possibly use as a pillow. And I can't use the staff shower coz it has 2 mattresses and a whole load of linen in it. It's a damn staff shower, not a storeroom!

In other news, gonna be pants and skirts shopping today (19/4), my favourite skirt is now to big for me... :( I really like that on dammit, I'd put my weight back on just to fit back in it, maybe.

Got a little trim on Sunday after work, the head massage not so good, would rather have decent hair wash with scalp massage than massage chair. Hair's a little shorter now, barely any difference. Hairdresser also stated I SERIOUSLY NEED to recolour my hair, but I want it black again, recolouring is so expensive and needs to be done so often with black hair.

Sorry Leach and Viv, I'm gonna have to RSVP after April 30th for your birthdays, same for Phil. Rosters aren't out til that week for me, and the week after for Phil I believe.

Viv: I have some 100% emulsifying ointment at home. The pharmacist I went to refused to mix it to 50% for me. Any ideas on how to mix it to 50% without the formula breaking down? Yes I have very dry skin.

EDIT:
Recent purchases:
- 4 pairs of pants
- 3 long sleeved tops
- 1 strapless dress
- Phil's graduation present

8 witty remarks:

  • At 15:48, Blogger Vivian said…

    lol why on earth do you have emulsifying ointment? And what's wrong with normal body moisturiser?

    What do you want to mix it with? Water, to make a cream? If you mix it with water, its not going to last very long without any preservative.

    But the correct way to do it is (modified from the APF19):
    1. Melt 30g ointment in the microwave in 30s bursts until it is clear liquid (~70 degrees) in a glass beaker.
    2. Heat up 60-70mL water to about the same temp (or slightly hotter).
    3. Pour the hot water into the ointment and stir like crazy with a spatula until you get a beautiful white fluffy cream (if it looks like crap, your cream has cracked and you need to start again!)

    LOL I can't believe I went and looked that up hahaha

     
  • At 16:23, Blogger Catie said…

    mmm... you made me hungry... *drools*
    with the banana cake, not emulsifying ointment

     
  • At 20:58, Blogger Vivian said…

    oh yes, the banana cake sounds delicious!

     
  • At 21:45, Blogger Minerva said…

    I hvae really dry skin, I asked our ward pharmacist what I should use with my really dry, peeling, painful, cracking skin. And he said use 50% emulsifying ointment, tat they can mix it up at the local pharmacy. Well, since my pharmacy refused, I bought 100% instead and decided to pick Viv's delicious brain for the instructions :D

    There's still a quarter left, I'm taking a good 2/5 to work tomorrow. Someone will eat it. :)

     
  • At 23:01, Blogger Vivian said…

    well haha I just realised my instructions weren't for mixing it to 50%, more like 30%...

     
  • At 16:14, Blogger Catie said…

    *tut tut* viv, that is just disgraceful :p

     
  • At 11:06, Blogger Vivian said…

    lol cos there is a standard formula for making aqueous cream from emulsifying ointment...

     
  • At 16:13, Blogger Minerva said…

    I was wondering about that coz it was 30:70 ratio ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home