Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mmmm chocolatey goodness...

After my first week at CCL, I feel I need some chocolate, especially when I don't have wine on hand *shockhorroriknowforshameforshame*

Pink rose - turns out to be white chocolate ganache in a strawberry coating. Oooh wonderfully sweet, I didn't realise how sweet it was til you swallow it down. Maybe I shouldn't have added sugar in my cuppa tea...
White heart - white chocolate coating, pasted together with a white chocolate, filled with milk chocolate ganache. Mmm...
Music - ooh this one was definitely a surprise, milk chocolate casing, with white chocolate on top, but filled with soft cream with tiny strips of candied peel. Oooh nice ;)
Blue rose pot - chocolate ganache inside the case. White chocolate leaf with minty green paint and a blue sugar rose. Sugar rose melt-in-mouth goodness... yum!
So my first week in CCL was good. At least I wasn't thrown in the deep end. Thank God I was in CCU first otherwise I'd have no idea what's going on. I was removing sheaths out of groins on my first day, double scouting on my 2nd day, and I will be double scrubbing next Tuesday, so they want me scrubbing on my own next Friday, which I am quite nervous about coz I still need to get used to the routine.
But I can see how people can get quite bored of the routine in CCL. I prefer talking to pts and the medical side of nursing, rather than the routine surgical side.
So I have a preceptor and she's been showing me around. Seeing angiograms and angioplasties done, proper way to compress haemotomas, I haven't seen any intra-aortic balloon pumps put in yet nor the PPMs (coz I was in Recovery), it's interesting to a point but I think I'll get bored.
There's a good point to CCL and that's you work very closely with the doctors (the fellows, registrars and consultants) so they get along well with nursing staff. Hopefully I remember the routine in scrubbing, it just takes time to learn. And I have to use Betadine scrubs coz I'm allergic to Chlorhexidine, so they had to req in a box of handscrubs from OT so I can start scrubbing and prepping (L) heart kits. I'm sure this is just jargon to a whole bunch of people.

Anyways, I'm gonna teach Phil how to dance on Sunday, wish me the best ;) And no, not latin, not hiphop, not ballroom. Just slow ;) BTW, Phil reads this blog, and he knows how to read these messages as well. Hello love! ;) So beware what you type ladies ;)

Sleepy now, will see you guys soon hopefully. I am taking Christmas pudding commissions as of now. I'm trying to figure out when to take annual leave so I'm hoping to have a good 2 weeks to steam puddings. Please email, call, or comment for puddings. Plum puddings now, so no more experimenting with dried pineapples and figs and such, I'm using last year's recipe, with the reduced amount of cognac.

Kat & Dave: Please feel free to come to Yum Cha on Saturday 22nd Sept @ 1100 @ East Ocean. I didn't want to sms you on your honeymoon ;)

5 witty remarks:

  • At 20:02, Blogger Vivian said…

    What's CCL again? lol

     
  • At 01:25, Blogger Catie said…

    I was thinking that myself... :)
    Have fun dancing! I think dancing is very fun myself, an activity that is not done enough these days.

     
  • At 00:02, Blogger Minerva said…

    CCL: Cardiac Catheter Lab

    I may have to postpone Yum Cha on Saturday. Wait for more people to become available. I'll sms around tomorrow.

     
  • At 12:24, Blogger Catie said…

    So no Yum Cha...One day we will eat Yum Cha again!

     
  • At 16:59, Blogger Kathryn said…

    hey so when in october? or can we do 3 nov? cause i'm free then and i want to come too! (that's a saturday right?)

    oh, can i have a copy of your photos from our wedding? please please please? and of the chocs, they look yum, we should have kept some for us!!

    ps: of course you're a clique, you're a couple... duh. just as long as you're not ALWAYS a clique around everyone else, then it's fine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home