Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Part 2 Head coverings... and gaaaahhhh...

Well, came up with a conclusion tonight about head coverings. Essentially, the passage is about showing a sign of authority, of being submissive to someone else. I would like to take the opportunity to define submission now. Submission is (in full knowledge and understanding) consenting to follow someone's will.
5 options for this passage:
  1. Totally inapplicable
  2. Apply the principle only - an attitude of submission is what counts
  3. Apply the principle, but the principle is more than just attitude. It's about an attitude of submission that is "obvious"
  4. Apply the concrete pattern but in a culturally meaningful way - having a physical "sign" of submission
  5. Apply the concrete pattern in the way Paul applied it - wearing head coverings

IMHO, points 3 and 4 are the same, we live in the 21st century, after the feminist movement and we've all been brought up to think freely and do anything. Head coverings in this time, age and culture will remind us of being doormats to men, I'm not saying the Muslim women wearing hijabs are doormats to their male relatives, but if we do wear head coverings in church whilst prayer and prophesying, I think it would be strange, it's not done in the low Anglican culture.

I'd rather follow point 4, a physical "sign" of submission in a culturally meaningful way. I'd wear a wedding ring on my left hand. That is THE sign of marriage, submission to your husband (to Christians) in our culture. I see head coverings as something cultural, if it is a sign/symbol to show that you are under someone else's authority, the wedding ring is the way to go. But remember, just coz the husband wears a ring too doesn't mean he is being submissive to the wife, he wears the ring to show he is head of a family/household/responsible/committed.

So if I do marry, the ring will be all. Or perhaps I should perm my hair when that happens, reminds me of all those HK tv dramas I used to watch as a kid.
Fuzhou women - distinction between married/unmarried
Amy Chan Sau Man in 'The Good Old Days' (1997). I love this series...
Makes me all sentimental like - I always thought Ma Jing Tao was very handsome, okay okay I still think Ma Jing Tao is very handsome. Must be those years of watching 'Heavenly Sword, Dragon Sabre' the Taiwanese version.

Some limerick searching inspired by Cat's latest post.

I poured her a small glass of wine
And she giggled and looked quite divine;
So I poured her some more
But she fell to the floor ...
Wasn't quite what I had in my mind.

Fusion class at Parramatta was fun (gym). It was some screwed up version of latin, and hip hop. Not bad at all, not very much of a workout even though my deltoids were sore the day after. My deltoids yes. Just imagine what moves we were doing... but anyway, they have a steam room!! I'm convincing Mish to stay back next week (and possibly the week after), I lurve steam rooms. Yea...

In other news, I don't like Pad Thai, too sweet for my tastebuds, or it could be the restaurant up the road... but gaaah, their Som Tum tastes ughhh as well. I want Som Tum and pineapple from BKK!!
Let's see if this works
Recent purchases:
- AWW low fat feasts recipe book - I know I know, Mish and I are cooking and B's restricted to a something-something cal diet/day so we need to cook unabashedly low fat. For shame, I have never bought AWW in my life...

5 witty remarks:

  • At 19:46, Blogger Ang said…

    Pad See Eiw?

     
  • At 21:43, Blogger Minerva said…

    Yea but Pad See Eaw is just like Chinese style noodles.
    Pineapple, fresh, sweet, beautiful, juicy pineapple.

     
  • At 17:35, Blogger Catie said…

    Very sensible.
    Wow, I am inspiring the spread of poetry across the internet. Sure it's limericks, but, well, I feel I've helped make the world a slightly better and more cultured place.

     
  • At 23:50, Blogger Minerva said…

    Limerick! limerick! limerick!

    Yes but I have to say that Chaucer goes completely over my head. Even though yes it was the English from waaaaay back when, it's so frustrating to read and comprehend. Especially when I close a ff if the grammar and spelling is horrendous.

    "There was a young woman from Ealing..."

     
  • At 12:16, Blogger Ang said…

    There was a young man from Nantucket....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home