Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tonight at YABS

Well let's see, 1 Cor 14: 1-25, always an interesting topic, and controversial to say the least. Gifts of prophecy and gifts of tongues. Evangelicals, Pentecostals, people who are in indifferent, people who base their beliefs on the Bible, always controversial and always have differing opinions on this, depending on the experience you've had.

Praying in tongues (e.g. Italian, Gaelic or tongues of the angels) should not be spoken aloud in church unless there's an interpreter present because it wouldn't do good in edifying the church. That's pretty clear.

And also discussed was prophecy and how it's defined as the Word of God shared. Also as who shares it. And that even if someone comes up to you and says "God told me to say to you etc." always make sure it's backed up by scripture please. If it contradicts the Bible, there's not really a basis to it. It may be someone you respect, but I just wouldn't be able to take them seriously unless I knew they had a good knowledge of the Bible.
For example, if someone at church says "Darling, God spoke to me and said that you should date blah blah." yea... ha. Riiiight, and that's based on....what? I don't think it says anywhere, "X must date Y, and X and Y must get engaged, and must get married within 2 years, and then X and Y must have 3 babies, and then X must torture the middle child because Jan Brady syndrome is so funny." I find it so bizarre that some people may do that.
So what do you people think about tongues? Believe in it? Spoke in tongues before?
Admittedly I have heard tongues and it didn't seem to connect with me, seems some churches *coughpentcough* contradict the New Testament where they say only those who speak tongues are christians, have they read the New Testament?? Hellooooooo???

Next week, the rest of chapter 14 will be fun and torturous, possibly on par with the 1 Cor 11 topic.

So how are you Hons people going? Finished? Another couple of hours to go? Tell tell and we'll go celebrate!

Reminders:
- Fundraising dinner on Saturday - darnit J, you know I didn't actually say "Yes". I said "But I already went to the FEVA one and that costed $$$..." I didn't actually say "I'll go." *huff in indignation* Meanwhile I do have an extra $182 from the refunded SAF from UWS. (Yays!) so I can afford it, still *huffs*

Oh BTW:
I currently have a NAB cheque from the uni, my bank is the Commonwealth bank, do I go to NAB or Commonwealth to get my money back? *shrugs* anyone?

4 witty remarks:

  • At 13:44, Blogger Catie said…

    Celebration time c'mon!

    Wooo!
    Wait a minute, I can't celebrate, have most of assessments to go :(

     
  • At 15:22, Blogger Minerva said…

    Okay, Cat just taught me how to bank a cheque. lol, yea I've got lots of things to learn.

    When's celebration time! We'll bring unfermented grape juice, or perhaps an arvo tea at Swissotel? ;)

    Gotta go take clothes down. *sighs*

     
  • At 01:07, Blogger Minerva said…

    This is very strange, I wrote up a new blogpost but it won't pubish. Keeps saying an error related to "Connection refusedblog blah blah blah" it wouldn't have anything to do with DST surely??

     
  • At 13:14, Blogger Catie said…

    that's weird. sorry, but have no idea how to help :(
    maybe the blog site is down for a bit? maybe your connection is down?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home