Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Interesting for Monday night

The infamous 1 Cor 14: 29-40. Actually more so the infamous v33-35.

"As in all the congregations of the saints, 34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." NIV

I find it best to read this passage in context (as for any other text really). Reading this passage out of context and plainly singling it out just allows for argument and disorder anyway.
The chapters before and chapter 14 are about gifts of prophecy and tongues. This specifically about Orderly Worship.

I can't believe that "women should remain silent" as in zip, no talking, no asking questions, no singing, no noises coming out of one's mouth. That just doesn't match up with chapter 11 where women pray and prophesy, as well as Priscilla and other women working in the church during the early Christian church.

Was it a particular problem in the Corinthian church that the women (wives) were speaking and disrupting during prophecy? As for anything, if something needs to be said to a minister or a preacher, it should be done in private and away from eyes, and that's just common sense for both genders. Why would Paul specifically say this to women? Which is why I wonder if this was a particular problem for the Corinthian church.

I'm still quite confused over this passage, I really want to understand the original Greek and the time of the Corinthians to understand it. Especially the words "church", "silent" and "speak".

For this to be about women ordination, women ministers, well the whole debate is way too tiring to type up without asking you ladies' opinions. What do you ladies think about women ordination?

BTW Synod voted 'no' to women ordination.

Yes I know in year 10 history I did the whole "Women in the church" thing, but I'm growing I tell you, I am. (Anglican churches in HK had to ordain women during WWII coz they were running out of men ministers, hehe, I don't know whether it was because they were dying off, more people were dying off, therefore needed more ministers etc.).

4 witty remarks:

  • At 10:32, Blogger Catie said…

    I don't know... that's what I think. I have a bit of a spiel about head coverings and cultural appropriateness, which I won't go into now. It's a bit tough, but I definitely don't have a problem with women teaching, and ordination of women is not something I'm going to get angry about or think of as ungodly.

     
  • At 23:03, Blogger Minerva said…

    I love spiels Cat. :)

     
  • At 22:11, Blogger Alicia said…

  • At 22:36, Blogger Minerva said…

    "The divinely sanctioned world view authenticated by the selective use of scripture … keeps women in subjection."

    What??! Are you kidding me?? The "selective use", women ministers use Bible passages selectively to justify ordination. Are you kidding me???
    Although I do wonder what the ellipsis points stand for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home