Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 20, 2007

What do you ladies think? (to the ladies in long term relationships, not with surfboards)

Or maybe this can be addressed to the singletons as well?

When dating your boyfriend, have you (as a couple) ever been called a clique?

I always thought a clique was a small, exclusive group of individuals who have their own in-jokes, quirks, outings etc., barring other individuals who attempt to enter the group. Usually consisting of an organiser, a gate controller and Plebians.
And a couple as a couple, 2 individuals (generally dating/married) seen as one item.

It seems Phil and I have been called a clique, perhaps it's because we were "individuals" before we started dating, and now we are a couple. Is it that couples are considered "cliques" or that singletons don't understand the definition of a "clique"?

Shell spoke to me Sunday night about not spending enough time with Yabs people, that Phil and I spend too much time together (whilst at church) and we have to be careful not to lose connections with others before we realise "Oh crap, we're married but we have no friends."
I really don't know about that, I love spending time with Phil, and as much as I appreciate Yabs peeps, the immature behaviour that they display isn't exactly an attractive reason to stay and chat. Especially when I have to be up at 0600 the next morning and Phil at 0400. And especially when Phil and I haven't spent a decent day together alone, trying to sneak in an hour here and there (still not alone), it gets so damn hard to find time to see each other, when I'm on morning and he's on nights, we ARE passing ships in the night. When I start my 0900 shifts, I won't be seeing him at all. I need him, there I said it, I need Philip.

We'd really love to get into an 'older' Bible study, Yabs peeps seems to 'young' for us (check out the plethora of "" and '' eh?). It's definitely a change from uni to working. From lazy uni students with only assessments to care about, to fulltime workers with everything else to worry about. Talk about change, you know, I kind of mourn the past times where I could wake up at whatever time I liked, go over to Lilyfield to pull Cat out for breakfast, time to read, time to make a huge batch of chocolate truffles, where the responsibilities you have are only to yourself.


Maybe I'm getting old, and I'm only 22. I think the responsibilities placed onto us (nurse and police officer) has really forced us to mature and see our social world, as well as emotionally, quite differently. I think I've matured more this year, starting real nursing has shocked me into responsibility and accountability, for myself, my responsibility for my colleagues, for my patients. I think only Karen will really know what I mean.

Anyways, I gotta be heading to sleep now, it's 2334 and I have to be up at 0645. I gotta think about what to get for dinner tomorrow as well. We're having a quiet night in plus dvd.

I can't wait to move outta home, or have my brother move out. Anybody want to look at the hole he left in my door? He's got issues, and he's not gonna take it out on me, nor my furniture. Life at home is sooo joyous... yes, can you feel the sarcasm radiating out of your computer screen?

Okay, as noted in the previous post, Yum Cha has been postponed to a later date when all theses are finished and handed in. So I'll get Phil to celebrate with me my 2/3 of the way through the New Grad Program.

They have me double scrubbing already, I was scouting and in recovery last week. I've seen too many groins, and I will be seeing more... Well I'll be scrubbing on my own tomorrow (damn big ask mind you for a new grad only in CCL for less than 2 weeks!)

Hope theses are going well for you ladies, I'll talk to you later!

Dancing went well by the way ;) I won't mention anything else ;)

7 witty remarks:

  • At 13:33, Blogger trees said…

    Hmm, no, never been called a clique, but that's probably cos we try to stay relatively apart when we're amongst other friends so we don't exclude them. It takes effort, and we probably don't always succeed, but it's also a conscious decision from a few years back - we had a lot of joint uni friends before we started going out + wanted to stay friends with them as individuals. So yes, just cos you're a couple doesn't automatically mean you're a clique, it depends on your actions around other people I guess. eg. whether you guys have individual convos with friends without the other person around.

    about "alone time", you seem to put a really high priority on it but life goes on if you don't necessarily get your day alone together.

     
  • At 16:11, Blogger Catie said…

    I think that's a misuse of the word 'clique', a clique is not a couple, other people cannot be included in your couple (unless you're swingers or something) so it's not the same...
    All the same the issue is still there of not alienating people because you're in a couple, which can be hard, cos you do want to spend a lot of time around that other person, and when you have joint friends it can be tricky?

    Of course different people react in different ways. But judging from my personal feelings, it's easier to hang out with couple when you're a couple, but you don't always get as much 'quality time' with the other people.

    Sounds kind of like the problem you're having is more with being busy/working full-time/ shift-work. And then if you have a limited amount of time your priorities can become... condensed?
    Alone time is good to have I think, I mean I guess you don't need it always but I know that I like to have it... A problem for me is alone time with friends, which I also like but rarely seem to have at the moment. But all these things are not solely caused by being in a relationship but also by being busy, and others being busy etc.

    So, can we draw any conclusions? Life is busy, and boyfriends etc. take up time, and can make people resentful/irritated if you don't keep spending time with them. So maybe just work out priorities. You know you want to spend time with Phil, you can keep that as top priority. But, assuming you want to keep in touch with friends (which I would recommend!)prioritize them too. Make time for those you really want to remain friends with, stay in touch with others but maybe you will have to see them less. With full-time work you see people less anyway, so be aware that you will see them less often just try to keep the friendships intact.

    Of course, I don't know, I'm not working full time. And I am really keen to stay close to all my friends. I am looking forward to getting married because hopefully when I get to live with Andrew that will create time for seeing other people that now is used making sure I see Andrew, cos I will see him anyway. Plus hopefully we will live closer and you can all come over heaps :) But not sure how all will work out...

    This comment is so long it should've been an email.
    And best wishes with the home situation.

     
  • At 16:13, Blogger Catie said…

    Maybe I should add that Andrew and I also made a resolution not to be too couple-y in public, so as not to make ppl uncomfortable and so as to be able to talk to others. Not sure how well we've done at that though...

     
  • At 10:15, Blogger trees said…

    and I thought my comment was long!

    anyway, yes, hope home situation is going well, give us a call if you need to vent...

    Agree that working full-time is bad in terms of taking up time away from one's other half (I can imagine that shift work, both you and Phil, would be even worse). Alone time is definitely important cos you don't want a relationship to flounder due to neglect. It's just a matter of organising your priorities I guess, trying not to fall between the 2 extremes.

     
  • At 10:18, Blogger trees said…

    lol, can you tell that Cat and I have something we're procrastinating from...

     
  • At 15:12, Blogger Minerva said…

    Yes it seems there is something you ladies are procrastinating from ;)

    Thanks for the comments, it's much appreciated. I think it is definitely hard not to be couple-y in public, especially when one is so much in love. We can't help it, we're drawn to one another, like a moth to an electric light bulb *bzzzzzzfizzlecrackdrop*
    We're still undecided whether to be less couple-y or stay our own couple-y selves.

    Shift work sucks (vote Labor!)

    That reminds me, I wanna get a Union Tshirt...

    I prioritise Phil, but we try not to ignore other people. We seem to be unapproachable at Yabs. "Where you find one, you find the other" kinda thing. *sighs* we'll see what happens

     
  • At 16:46, Blogger Catie said…

    Procrastinating? Me?
    Hmm... Although I had such a long comment before, I have to say that if you are obviously making people feel uncomfortable then it might be more loving to be less couple-y. Save the couple-y stuff for other contexts.
    Remember when you were single? What were your thoughts on PDA then? (public displays of affection, not like little personal organiser things for those confused, like I was for oh so long) As I recall they were somewhat different to now. Prioritise time-wise, but adapt your behaviour to the situation.
    I'd like to give you a call, this is all so complicated, but then you seem busy. Hmm...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home