Spun in jam

REVAMPED. Musings out loud. To the attempting to focus on food and drink blog, http://www.spuninmorejam.blogspot.com

Friday, June 16, 2006

Studying techniques

Do people Rote learn or do we actually understand completely the information being absorbed?
I wonder coz I've never been one to study in any way, save the 3 night cramming before exams, and consequently I don't remember any Maths, Chem and yes even the torturous love/hate relationship with Physics (ok well some of Physics, only coz I hated/enjoyed it).

There was always a plan to read the textbooks and specific topics before moving onto the next topic, but there never seemed to be time, or they never were realistic goals? I mean, I read what I'm interested in, and I love A&P, pathophysiology, but I'm not interested in Psych (even though my highest marks were in Psych).
Funny that. That seems to have been the way in all the things I do. The things I love, I work hard in and my marks don't turn out that great. Then there's the subjects I detest, but I do best in, eg. I have better results in paso doble *hiss* than I do in the cha cha.
Then there's the subjects where you just don't give a rats about, eg. Chem and Maths, lol, yikes. Like I thought back in year 12 'What am I gonna use polynomials for??' 'What am I gonna do with trigonometric equations??' Well there wasn't really a point was there? But then again, I doubt they would've let me do Physics if I didn't do Maths, but if I could go back, I'd drop Chem and pick up Biology. Even the minor amount of chemistry we have in nursing, we already learnt about in Prelim Physics. But then again the biology in nursing is more complicated than the HSC syllabus I'm assuming. But then again I used to read How the body works? and the Great Science books when I was a kid so the basics I got. Oh lordy I was a nerd...

Walked around Parra for hours today, my feet are killing me, see one foot is trying to wrap itself around my neck. I got some Chinese food yays! Chicken chow mien, yea, salt and pepper squid sounded tempting too but meh (getting hungry now).

Recent purchases:
- knee length dark brown Colorado boots - was talking to sales lady about heffa of calves, surprisingly zipped up after a little squeeze. Was v pleased, bought immediately.
- Possession by A.S. Byatt - so I'm guaranteed to read it Cat, whether I'm 21 or 121, it'll now be sitting in my room, calling.
- a wine insulator - goodeo, I've been searching for one, finally got one at Bar World. Yea.
- Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany - bought with 20% off voucher at Borders Parra. I couldn't find it at A&R or Dymocks and yays! Twas in Borders :D Some very light bedtime reading, after my full on Eve: Sex, Childbirth and Motherhood.

3 witty remarks:

  • At 22:03, Blogger Catie said…

    Yay! Everybody should read Possession!


    Well, I dunno, rote learning can be very effective, at least in the short term. But then, I tend to do best at history and english, when I can remember causes and frameworks of things, general stuff like that

     
  • At 13:33, Blogger Vivian said…

    Well I wish I could say the same for myself (in terms of doing well in the subjects you aren't interested in), cos then I would do really well in everything!

    I don't remember any maths either, I can't even add and subtract numbers in my head anymore....

     
  • At 15:59, Blogger Minerva said…

    1. John Smith needs 1g of paracetamol and paracetamol tablets come in 500mg, how many tablets does Mr. Smith get?
    a. 2 tablets

    2. Mary Smith needs a 1L bag of normal saline to run over 6 hours through a macro drip. How much does she receive per hour and what is the drip rate?
    ai) 1000/6 = 167ml/h
    ii) {1000/(6x60)} x 20 = 56dpm

     

Post a Comment

<< Home